In USA, the courts (courts) are specialized. Depending on the nature of your dispute, you will be judged by one of them. In some jurisdictions, you must take a lawyer, in front of others it is optional.
The lawyer is obligatory in the following jurisdictions:
Administrative court: in principle, the lawyer is obligatory except for an appeal for abuse of power, in matters of pension, public works, contractual disputes (the list of exceptions is very important, we advise you to inquire with administrative court registries). You can visit https://dfwcaraccidentlawyers.com/lawyer-directory/city/dallas/ for more.
Administrative court of appeal and Council of State: you should in principle take a lawyer (lawyer to the councils for the Council of State), except for the appeal for abuse of power, in matters of pension, elections, contribution and contraventions of roads
- Criminal courts: Assize Court, Court of Cassation
- Civil courts: High Court, Court of Appeal, Court of Cassation
The lawyer is not mandatory in the following jurisdictions: district court, commercial court, police court, criminal court, industrial tribunal.
To know which court is competent, you can consult the specialized books (procedure codes), but it is better to consult a lawyer.
What is the lawyer for?
- He advises you, directs you.
- It presents arguments to defend you in writing and orally.
- In writing: he prepares civil and commercial summons, requests in administrative law if you are a plaintiff, or criminal complaints. Lawyers exchanging findings or briefs to respond to opposing arguments
- Orally: he pleads before the judges
He can also draft legal acts: contracts, transactions.He may also discuss with the other party to try to resolve your dispute amicably (without trial).
How to choose a lawyer?
It is a relationship of trust.You can take the lawyer of your choice.He may refuse to take charge of your case, if he does not consider himself competent, if your case offends his convictions, if he cannot devote to your file a sufficient time to properly prepare your defense, in case of conflict interest.
How to choose the best lawyer for your business?
There is no classification by “merit”: all lawyers are a priori competent. However, their ethics prohibit them from dealing with a case in an area they do not know (lawyers cannot be perfectly familiar with all legal matters).
- There are lawyers specialized in certain fields. You must ask them by phone, before any appointment, if they agree to treat your case.
- If you are not satisfied with your lawyer, you can change it in the course of business (of course, after paying his benefits).
Where to find a lawyer?
For a list of lawyers, contact the secretariat of the district court of your place of residence or the order of lawyers.Read Full Article